Wednesday, September 3, 2014

 
 
Anchor Charts in the Geography Classroom
 
This summer I was constantly seeing anchor charts all over Pinterest and even by teachers on Facebook.  That started my research into using anchor charts in my Geography classroom.  One of the first things I learned was that there are different ways of defining anchor charts and ways of doing them!  What was a geography teacher to do?
 
 
Part of my research had led me to define anchor charts as a way of visually reviewing information that was learned in class.  Students can then look back to the anchor charts as a means of reminding them of information, processes,  and even strategies.  In looking at samples of these charts I was able to find a lot of examples of ELA charts and math charts primarily for the elementary classroom.  I really never found any samples of high school geography work.
 
That is not going to stop me!  I actually started the first anchor chart based on our first actual lesson-the five themes of geography. 
 
 
This is my first effort and I hope it will benefit my students. My goal is to involve the students in creating future anchor charts and even add illustrations.  This can be used as we continue through the school year especially during test review time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment